GODZILLA

GODZILLA
Who would name a boat Godzilla?.?

Monday, July 5, 2010

In the beginning..........

Ok, so it's finally time to get my ass in gear and start writing my blog. I named it after the 1950's TV show "Adventures in Paradise" starring Gardner McKay. Preston Foster, Adolph Menjou and others played a hand in this madness as well.
Not to mention Travis McGee.

When I was a kid, I was mesmerized by anything about the sea. When I was about 10, my Dad took me to Catalina Island on the last 4 engine commercial seaplane that was in regular service. WW2 vintage I think. The view of the island from the air as we landed was all I needed. I was hooked!!!

Swaying palm trees, sunshine,The Duke of Catalina on the dock, greeting island visitors, the whole experience stays with me even today. There was, back then, a Chris Craft dealer there displaying some 27 foot wooden Constellations for sale. We went aboard for a look and the dreams of Adventures in Paradise took over. Resistance was futile.!!!

Fast forward a half century and here I am, at last. House is leased out, retirement is 16 weeks away, and I'm sitting on my boat almost ready to cast off!!!!

Lest my readers think this is my first rodeo, I have owned a broad variety of boats over the years, and went the Sea of Cortez twice before. So my eyes are open.
The difference this time is TIME!!!, and lots of it!!.

Some of my family think i'm a bit crazy, but they always have. So in the words of Tevye "Why should today be different?"