GODZILLA

GODZILLA
Who would name a boat Godzilla?.?

Saturday, April 2, 2011

San Blas...the Mosquito Coast.

Hard to Port!!!!!
San Blas actually turned out to be  bit of a suprise. Somethings good, somethings...well.

The first day I arrived, I anchored in the estuary, across from the marina. Although a free anchorage, it's right up against a mangrove swamp. At sunrise and sunset the no-see-ems come out to feast. I had planned on closing all windows and ports during these times and running the A/C, but suprise...The Genset would run for 15-20 minutes and then die. After filling the coolant tank a few times , I figured out that the heat exchanger had an internal leak. I'm growing weary of genset issues!!!..RRRRRRR!!!

Marina San Blas across from the estuary
Next morning I moved to the marina and sent an E mail to Jeff in Channel Islands Harbor for a replacement heat exchanger. This is the least expensive marina in Mexico. It's nice enough, but the bugs will eat you alive!!!

Shrimper "Docked" in San Blas estuary
My first night there I forgot to close the windows at sunset and work up the next morning looking like I had the measels. Luckily they didn't itch too badly so off to town I went in search of some repellant. As I walked into town I spotted a local restaurant/bar called BIlly Bob's. I walked in and it was another pleasant suprise. Mostly an Ex-Pat hangout and everyone there introduced themselves. What a cast of characters!!!. These were not cruisers, but people who lived there. And everyone had a story. This would make a great movie.  Even better was the advice I got for insect repellant!!!

Marina San Blas
Billy Bob's became my hang out for the week I was there. I met another captain named Tim Ray who volunteered to go with me for the 125 mile run to Mazatlan. He lives in San Blas, but said it was cheap to take a bus back, and he was interested in visiting Mazatlan anyway.

San Blas turned out to be a really nice place (except for the bugs). It was also incredibily cheap!. I had gotten used to Puerto Vallarta prices and was blown away by how much less expensive San Blas was. I think it was that it's not a huge tourist town. I re-porvisioned there. Two bags of fresh veggies (verduras) $1.50 US...!!!

After a week in San Blas it was time to get moving again. My new friend Tim signed on for the trip to Mazatlan....Next stop, Isla Isabella.......