GODZILLA

GODZILLA
Who would name a boat Godzilla?.?

Friday, March 11, 2011

Back home and then a Tsunami......

In late Feburary, feeling a bit homesick and needing to pick up some boat parts back in the states, I flew home on Feb. 22 for 2 weeks.

Wow, culture shock!!. It was cold and rainy when I got home. I hadn't realized how much I had gotten used to the warm weather.  But it sure was nice to spend some time with Ronelle, my Sister and family. My son Michael picked me up at LAX and we headed north to Ojai.

I had a long list of parts I needed so I jumped on that right away. Most were just misc. items I wanted, except the new voltage regulator for the genset. I ordered that from the east coast as soon as I could and it arrived a few days before I left to return to Puerto Vallarta.

My Dad was glad to see me and I visited with him three times while I was there. My sister and I took care of same family business and it was great to catch up on local news and gossip.

About this retirement thing: Seems like forever I have heard of people retiring and not knowing what to do with themselves. I used to chuckle to myself thinking how I'd never have that issue. I have been busy for the most part in Mexico, but I started to feel that way back in California after I had completed most of the tasks I had planned on doing. Guess I'm NOT terminally unique after all.

After 15 days in the frozen tundra of southern California, I spent the final night at Michael's house, eating pizza with the kids and watching a movie. Had a great time and was off the following morning.
When I got to the airport and tried to check in, the electronic boarding pass machine said it had no reservation for me. WTF!!!!

I got back in line and talked to a clerk, only to discover that my flight had left the day before. After some checking we discovered that I had written the date of departure incorrectly on a piece of paper while still in Mexico. $100.00 later, and feeling like a dork I was on my back back.

Now I know why I wasn't too harsh with Ronelle for having snaffuz with HER flight(S) a few months before. Old age is a bitch!!!

I arrived back in Puerto Vallarta on March 2 to find that almost nothing had been done to my boat since I had left. I had hired a guy to keep an eye on her while I was gone. He was supposed to keep the dock lines tight ( lots of surge in La Cruz)  and wash her right before my return. The lines were slack, the boat was filthy and I was NOT a happy camper.

As I'm writing this a Tsunami warning came over the radio......I think I better go, but I'll write about it in my next post!!

Stay tuned...........