GODZILLA

GODZILLA
Who would name a boat Godzilla?.?

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Al Fresco... Part Deaux......

After 4 weeks in a Marina I finally tired of the yacht club, starbux, the mall and feeling like I was back in Encino. Plus the expense was getting to me!

Earlier this week I pulled the plug, lit off the engines and headed 5 miles north in the bay to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle ( try saying THAT fast!). There is a very nice marina there, but also an anchorage that is really popular with the cruising crowd, of which I feel more comfortable. 34 saiboats and me, the lone powerboater. When I got here there was a sailboat named Buena Vista anchored next to me, crewed by a couple from Ventura. Don and Debbie Robertson. He's an Aussie, she a local gal.  They are heading to Barra de Navidad and I hope to meet up with them if I get that far south. Sometime next year they plan on going to the South Pacific. They invited me along but I declined, LOL

Living "on the hook" is totally different than being tied to a dock.  But thats what I came here for, so i am getting used to it. The anchorage is right outside the marina and for a small fee I can use their dingy dock to get into the town of La Cruz. It's about half rustic Mexican town with great charm and half condo development. The old part is really quiant, where everybody's front door is open and people are outside most always. Very friendly. This would be a cool place to have a 2nd home, as many Norte Americanos do.

An interesting thing is that Puerto Vallarta is in a different state than La Cruz, therefore a different time zone. My ship's clock is set to P.V. time, but my cell phone can;t make up it's mind where it is. So, someitmes I wake up not sure what time it really is. Not that it matters, but it seems I've spent so much of my life on a time schedule it has been a bit confusing.

Another interesting change in Mexico since I was last here is the appearance of the "Big Box Store". In P.V. there is a Costco, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and  a Sam's Club. Bucerias has their own version called Mega. Less English is spoken, but what a differnce in prices!!. I had been shopping at the Mall market. In some cases, prices were half.

The weather here has gotten a bit cooler. HIgh 70's during the day. low 60's at nite. Perfect!. No wonder there are soooo many Canadians here.

In any event, family will be here in 10 days. We'l be heading for Chacala for a few days, probibly exlore more of P.V. proper and just relax. And celebrate the new year!!!